telebirr: New mobile wallet service in Ethiopia.
What is telebirr?
Nowadays carrying a wallet with all your money and credit cards is not preferable anymore. Well, at least if you have a tele birr account.
telebirr is a mobile payment and digital wallet service by Ethio telecom that lets customers make different financial transactions using their phones. The service mainly supports people living in urban areas having different economical and social pressure. The service was launched in Ethiopia Addis Abeba on may 11,2021. high government officials including prime minister Abiy Ahmed, attend the event that took place in friendship square. The mobile platform has been generated by the Huawei technology group. The mobile platform currently has the capacity of processing up to 100 transactions per second, also they mentioned that it can scales up to 1000TPS in the future.
What are telebirr Services?
Ethio telecom telebirr services enable you to deposit, receive, transfer and pay using a mobile number, you can have cashless transactions and receive international remittance it also allows you to make payment at convenient stores via QR codes, purchase goods.
In the case of international remittance in order to know the daily exchange rate for all the banks in Ethiopia, you can visit Banks Exchange Rate.
How to use/register telebirr?
So now that you all know what tele birr is? what are tele birr services? now it’s time for the most important question of all: How to use /Register for tele birr. well, it’s an easy affair but first, you need to choose what option you can register and you need to follow fewer instructions to make it easier, we are here to help so let’s begin.
1 Register using mobile wallet app
- First, you need to Download the telebirr app.
- Open the tele birr app from the app drawer via your phone then you will be asked to choose quickly to create an account in this case Ethio Telecom will fill your profile or self creates an account that enables you to fill in the information by yourself, you can choose the preferable one for you.
- Now you will be asked to enter your mobile number and click get the code then you will get a six-digit code via SMS and enter next.
- Right now since step three is done you will receive a personal data page which consists of TITLE, ID TYPE, ID CARD, FIRST, MIDDLE, LAST NAME, GENDER, DATE OF BIRTH, PREFERRED LANGUAGE. After checking and filling in personal information click submit.
- once you submit you will receive a default pin via SMS and you will be asked to create a new pin to activate the new account click finish and accept the terms and conditions.
Finally, you will receive SMS, You can log in and start using tele birr
2 Register using USSD shortcode
- Dial *127#.
- Register for tele birr OK.
- Type your First name, Middle name, Last name OK.
- Fill in your birth date OK.
- Enter invitation code.
- Select OK for the confirmation pop-up.
- You will receive a pin via SMS.
- Dial *127# to activate your account.
- Enter your default PIN OK/SEND
3 Register using telebirr agent
Simply you can go to your nearest telebirr shop and simply can register and get benefits from different telebirr services. You can register using one of valid kebele ID, valid passport, valid taxpayers ID, Valid drivers license, Student ID, Employment ID.
*NOTE-15 birr initial opening balance will be rewarded. within your bonus, you can only purchase airtime or make the local transfer.
Banks using telebirr
Starting from the 9th of September 2021, Ethio telecom announced that telebirr is now officially working or linked with seven different banks Debub global bank, commercial bank of Ethiopia, awash bank, Abyssinia bank,birhan bank,hibret bank, and enat bank. This will help telebirr service customers to make easy transactions from their bank account to telebirr account and benefit from the service.
Also, telebirr is trying to integrate with different banks and financial institutions but for the current case, the above banks are the available ones for this service.
The impressive growth of a few pioneer initiatives like ethio telecom service in Ethiopia has demonstrated the potential of mobile banking. However, the majority of mobile banking initiatives worldwide have had to retool or have yet to develop a business model that sustains all the companies involved, so here is where an agent is required.
Telebirr agent registration
Is a service provided by Ethiotelecom that enabled agents to play a critical role in acquiring new customers, enabling them to transact, and keeping them satisfied. there are two registering ways you can get registered either as a merchant telebirr agent or a tele birr agent.
1, Get registered as a merchant telebirr agent
A merchant is a person or company involved in wholesale trade, especially one dealing with foreign countries or supplying goods to a particular trade. Payment will be conducted physically at a point of the wholesale process this is why it is called in-store payment or in-location payment. This telebirr mobile wallet service enabled telebirr customers to pay via USSD code or mobile app this helps or benefit both the retailer and buyer to improve cash handling, Reduce queues at peak hours, Increase payment collection, Greater customer experience due to alternative payment, option cashless- free from error and theft. Examples of merchandise areas -refreshment areas (cafe, bar, lounge, restaurant), Retailer shops, different governmental offices, Health institutions, School owners for school fees.
Note- Merchant tele birr agent key task is to handle proximity payments
REGISTER USING-merchant telebirr agent registration form
2, Get register as a fully telebirr agent
Telebirr agents involved in
Customer registration-An agent is required to help customers throughout the whole registration process by giving full and defined information plus showing the different options for tele birr registration method an agent will receive a 15 birr bonus for each successful transaction such as deposit cash, withdrawal cash, airtime popup.
Customer Education-tele birr agent is required to educate people about whats tele birr, how to use tele birr, the pros and cons of telebirr, ways of registering, how to become a normal or merchant type telebirr agent about the commission, and so on.
Cash deposit-Agents are required to take money equivalent to the amount of deposited rate.
Cash withdrawal-Agents are required to process and facilitate the withdrawal for tele birr registered customers.
Cash voucher withdrawal-Agents are required to withdraw cash for non-tele birr registered customers.
Airtime pop up-Agents can sell different airtime services and get a 9 percent commission
REGISTER USING-telebirr agent registration form
tele birr agent requirements
- Tax identification no (TIN.no)
- Trade or business license
- Bank account
- Email address
- Phone no
- Kebele id card
People also ask
People also ask
1, Can I have multiple telebirr account?
– Yes, you can have multiple accounts with different services number but the financial transactions will be as NBE directives.
2, Do I got informed while depositing and withdraw money?
– Yes, you will receive notification SMS from 127.
3, Can I send money to the unregistered users?
4, How can I send money to unregistered users?
- go to telebirr agents.
- give them your valid ID card and recipients phone no.
- The agents will transfer the money using their system.
- the recipient will receive a voucher number and notification.
- through the code, they can withdraw using a nearby telebirr agent shop.
5, If I lost my sim card, will I also lose my telebirr account?
– No, you will not lose because it’s protected by a six-digit pin.
6, How much money can be transferred per day?
– Currently, you can transfer up to 8000 birrs per day.
7, How can I reset my pin?
– In order to reset pin you need to contact nearby telebirr agents, they will help you through the process finally you will receive a notification with your new pin.